How to Develope ISO 45001 in your organzation ?
PowerTrain would propose undertaking Integrated Management System implementation in 6 (six) distinct phases :
Phase 1 : Initial Review
Phase 2 : Strategic Planning
Phase 3 : Design & Development
Phase 4 : Implementation
Phase 5 : Performance Evaluation
Phase 6 : Audit & Review
PHASE 1 – INITIAL REVIEW
Implementing Health and Safety Management System requires an Initial Review to assess the current status of the organization in terms of current ISO 45001 performance. This establishment will be use as a benchmark for the ISO 45001 system development. Furthermore, the initial review will be evaluate the current practices on :
- Management policy and commitment on OHS
- Possible mandatory Legal
- Current practice on : awareness on MSDS, PPE, safety at work, work permit, accident, incident, and ill health.
- Infrastructure evaluation such as the need on fire fighting equipment, emergency tools, PPD, first aid etc.
- Current others certification hold, such as ISO 9001 and the chance for some system integration on some procedures.
- Injury and ill health prevention in organization including safety patrol, unsafe act unsafe condition .
PHASE 2 – STRATEGIC PLANNING
The findings of the Initial Review provide the basis for planning the integrated management system. From this, the management together with PowerTrain’s consultant can decide on the scope for the ISO 45001:2018 Management Systems certification.
In practice, the strategic of ISO 45001 Planning phase includes defining the integrated policy, identifying roles and responsibilities of the project team and deciding on actions.
Awareness ISO 45001 Training
The ISO 45001 training is focus on understanding the requirement of ISO 45001, how to fulfill these requirement and what is the necessary documentation. This training also include the understanding of ISO 45001 best practice which usually implement in the OHS conscious organization. Detail of best practice would include the OHS Program, OHS Policy, Legal, Emergency Preparedness, Hazard Identification, Occupational Health and Hygiene Practice etc.
All the training result will be implemented during system development phase.
Review Context Organization, Business Process and Context Diagram
Organization is required to define its Context Organization, evaluate the issue in the internal or external and defined its interest parties.
To review business process as a basic management mapping system that used as a platform of management system, thus this platform used for mapping the requirement of ISO 45001.
To develop the context organization by integrating the business process, with interest parties and issue related to the interest parties, internally or externally.
Benefits of using this tools :
- The management system is develop base on the unique requirement of organization then the requirement of ISO 45001 will follow.
- The integration of management system such as ISO 14001 AND ISO 45001 and QMS is highly possible.
- The development of risk related to organization.
- Maintenance of the system is easy.
Project Team Development
The project team shall be developed for successful ISO 45001 development process. The following team structure will be made :
- Management Representative or Process representative
Management Representative is a company representative which ensure the Environmental Management System is implement properly. The other option is Process Representative, as MR is not mandatory in ISO 45001:2018
- Steering Committee
Steering committee is a process owner in organization. Usually steering committee has a structural position in the organization. Steering committe is ensure that the ISO 45001 requirement is identified and ensure that these requirement is fulfilled and implemented.
- Working Party
Working party is a member of the team, usually is appointed by steering committee. The task of working party is to identify the requirement in their process, identify necessary document (level 1, 2, 3 or level 4 documentation) and ensure the documentation development and implementation in their process
Scope Determination and Policy Development
Scope of certification is very important, this is the boundary of certification until where the requirements are applied. The certification scope for ISO 45001 normally is determine by location and sites. Consultant will guide on determine the scope of certification and identify the important area (which is the area have highest risk to occupational health and safety). Policy development is a commitment of top management on implementing Environment Management System. The policy might be related to commitment on (but not limited to).
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Prevention of Ill Health and Injury
- Compliance to the legal requirement
- Reduce Near Miss
This section is to implementing the Risk Management, HIRADC. This section is to identify the risk management related to the issue in the organization context and identifying significant hazard and develop the risk management process for all the issues and hazard.
Legal and Other Legislation Requirement
This section is to evaluate the Legal and other legislation requirement. Applicable legal will be evaluate from National level to the District level. Consultant will help to identify which legal and how to fulfill the requirement or to advice on how to make a planning for compliance.
- Risk Management, HIRADC
- Workshop of ISO 45001 Legislation & Other Requirement and Develop Procedure
Objective and Target
Objectives and target is the deployment of the policy. When the organization establish their policy, then the measureable metrics shall be establish. This activities will help organization to formulate the objectives and target and deploy to the specific level in the organization.
The program is the real action plan on how to achieve these objectives and targets. This activities will help the organization to develop action plan and specify the activities to ensure that the established objectives and targets are clear on time line, possible to achieve and suitable enough to the organization.
PHASE 3 – DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT INTRODUCTION
This phase would design the documented management system which would include :
- Establishment hazard area, hazard operation and hazardous materials and the need on use PPE
- Establish of job description, and competence standards
- Establish Emergency Preparedness system, include but not limited to :
- Emergency response Team.
- Emergency Equipment Identification, planning and establishment.
This could be include : Hydrant, Sprinkler , First Aid Kit, Emergency Kit etc.
- Fire Protection System.
- Hygiene infrastructure.
- Establishment Measurement System as necessary
- Environmental parameter such as heat, temperature, vibration, noise etc.
- Safety and health parameter such as near miss, accident, incident and ill health.
- MSDS identification and implementation.
- Work permit system such as hot work, cold work, LOTO, confined space, working at height, etc.
- Industrial Hygiene which may include health examination, industrial hygiene practice, hearing conservation, vision and radiation protection.
- Pollution control.
- Establish safety at work procedure
- Establish system for :
- Contractor Safety
- Visitor Safety
- Purchasing system
- Product Design safety
- Establish Procedure for Legal and Regulation compliance and updated.
- Establish system for documented information.
- Development system for non conformance, corrective action.
- Development procedure for internal audit system. This system will include the safety patrol system, identification of unsafe act and unsafe condition.
- Development safety sign system and campaign. Safety sign will include the sign for hazardous material and hazard area.
- MSDS identification and implementation.
- Work permit system such as Temporary Storage Area, and Waste management.
- Legal compliance need on infrastructure permits and operators permits such as lifting equipment, boiler, pressure vessel.
- Developing Integrated ISO 45001 manual.
PHASE 4 – IMPLEMENTATION Introduction
PowerTrain stresses the need to ensure that procedures, systems and company specific guidelines pertaining to OHS regulations and codes of practice are owned by the people who will work with them. Irrespective of the development process employed, management bears responsibility for implementation and the communication of the integrated management system. The consultant’s role is one of support and advice; this can range from assistance in devising a company-wide communications strategy and providing presentation techniques training to the provision of visual aids, rehearsal facilities, and attending in-house seminars as ‘the technical expert’.
- Implementation of OHS Policies, Procedures & Work Instruction
- Procedure Implementation ‘Walk-Through’
PHASE 5 – PERFORMANCE EVALUATION Introduction
Had implemented the ISO 45001 standard requirements, there is a need to evaluate the effectiveness of the system.
In this phase, the consultant will assist the organization to identify areas where there are still gaps in the system performance against the standard. Identifying areas where control limits set can be tightened to reduce cost and set more challenging targets to form a new baseline.
Advice is given on the establishment of effective internal audit procedures. Selected staffs are trained by PowerTrain to be ISO 45001 Internal Auditor, Emergency Drill and the necessary skills are imparted to the team, also conducting the “real audit” to enhance their capability to conduct internal audit refer to ISO 45001 requirement.
The overall performance of the internal EHS audits shall then be reviewed by the management for corrective actions and improvements.
- Monitor Objectives and Targets
- Monitor Operational Performance
- Monitor Regulatory Compliance
- Monitor OHS Program Performance
- OHS Internal Audit
- Emergency Drill
PHASE 6 – AUDIT & REVIEW Introduction
The final phase comprises the review of the documented Occupational and Health and Safety management system against the objectives and targets and to ensure that they are comprehensive and integrate into a cohesive.
An experienced PowerTrain consultant in the Occupational and Health and Safety field will undertake an independent assessment prior to the Certification assessment in order to ensure that there are no remaining areas of concern. This gives your staff a ‘rehearsal’ before the actual event.
- Conduct Management Review
- ISO 45001 Management System Pre Assessment Audit
- Corrective Action after Pre Assessment
- Certification Audit
- Corrective Action after Certification Audit